Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Baby steps~Focusing on even the smallest of accomplishments

Remember back when your babies were actually babies. Even the tiniest of learning and accomplishments brought on joy and celebration. We oohed and awed at baby cooing and smiling, we cheered at their first steps, and for sure rejoiced the moment potty training was successful. We realized that no matter how small, the fact was that we had made it through to the next era. Once toddlers and big kiddos started showing up we quickly seemed to get lost in all of the hustle and bustle of just keeping them from killing each other or destroying our home, and forgot to acknowledge all of the tiny achievements that our kids master. The last few days I have purposed in my heart and really prayed for God's guidance in this area of focusing on even the smallest of deeds. We have had a tough time with our oldest and math, with our middle and focus and desire, and with our youngest and attitude. It's really been some times of thinking "am I cut out for this homeschooling as part of who I am as Mama?" I refused to let myself beat up on me and I refuse to just quit. So I began praying. I asked my husband to pray. I asked others to pray too, the ladies I know I can depend on to truly pray for me and the kids and our schooling when they say they will. God has not spoken through a mighty burning bush. He didn't call out to me in a dream or even make it very obvious by speaking through His Word in my studies. He spoke in that still small voice. That voice that says "listen, I'm all around. I'm still here, and here's your reassurance." It first came when my Hannah sat down for math yesterday and not once complained about multiplication tables. It came when I had the ingenious DUH moment of breaking them down just a few per day instead of overloading her. It came when she lit up because I rejoiced with her for knowing and memorizing them perfectly in just one day! He spoke in a hushed voice when I overheard my little Sarah say "come on Noah let's go play. You're my best fand.", and watched as the two of them bounced on the trampoline without a fight. God then embraced me as He so lovingly does when the day was done and Noah ran to his Daddy with sight words in hand excited to share the new words he had learned that day. Oh, Father, how You love me. The ways that You show me You care are too great and far beyond my deserving. I will celebrate the smallest of achievements, even the tiniest of baby steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment