Thursday, November 26, 2015

Generation to Generation


As I sit and look at my kitchen counters on this beautiful Thanksgiving morning i'm reminded of my mother's kitchen this time of the year. There was always such a sense of comfort in the times where I would wake up sleepyhead out of my childhood or teenage bed room. The comfort came from knowing that my mom was there, knowing that she was taking care of us by cooking, knowing that she loved us enough to show us. Several years ago my mom gathered up all of her now grown daughters and even a few family members that she thought of as daughters and she gave us all something that she had worked months on. She gave us a cookbook which she had sewn the cover for out of old quilt tops. Inside the cookbook were many recipes some handwritten, some passed down for many generations, and some that were just our favorites as kids. So as I am in my kitchen today with my cookbook open preparing the same meal that she has for many years I think about the fact that she passed down so many more things than just that cookbook. The things that my mom passed down are not just the material things but the things that I can cherish and I can pass down to my kids that are so much more important than just paper. Things like loving the Lord, like loving your family, like loving the word of God. So as I wish you a very wonderful Thanksgiving day I also pray that in your family you will pass down the things that are so important. Sure it is nice to have an awesome meal and especially dressing cooked like granny's or banana pudding cooked like mawmaw's but the word of God and loving the Lord will bless for generations upon generations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment